Mike Meintjes - Class of 1950
It is with deep regret that the Wynberg Old Boys' Union heard of the passing of Mike (Class of 1950) on Sunday 11th September. Affectionately known to all his old Wynberg school pals as "Cheese". Mike was a loyal supporter of the school and the Old Boys' Union. Our sincere condolences to his family.
A few friends of Mike have published a book entitled "Life with Mike or the man with funny ears", on the life of this extraordinary man and the following features are of note:
The foreword is by Morne`du Plessis
- The foreword is by Morne` du Plessis
- The cartoons on the front and back covers, and in the book are by Tony Grogan
- The book was compiled by Heather Parker Lewis
- Reminiscences by Mike and his friends over the years are sincere, glowing, humorous and thought provoking and draw the reader in to the life and times of growing up in Sea Point and
- Cape Town in the 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s
- Many of the contributions by friends and Mike himself poke happy fun at Mike's mannerisms and seemingly carefree way of life.
- Memories of growing up with Mike and his wife Rene by their children and grand children are fun and touching.
- Behind every successful man…Rene is included in the praise heaped by friends and family as the quiet yet strong guiding force who created the happy and tranquil home in which the madly dashing Mike seeks peaceful retreat.
- The book is a comfortable and easy read…you might just have difficulty putting it down.
We were fortunate enough to receive the email below from Huck Endersby co-writer with Mike Ingle, on the 20th March 2011 which exemplifies the person Mike was.
"There is amongst us a living legend whose unflagging sense of duty, responsibility, and love to care for people sees him tirelessly devoting his energy, time and life to others. His lifetime involvement in the following is legendary:
- Hamilton Rugby
- Western Province and National rugby
- Chris Burger Petro Jackson Player Fund
- Western Province Cricket
- Mountain Club of SA
- Bushbucks mountain hiking group
- Boy Scouts
- Standard Bank
- Wynberg Old Boys
- Pinelands Congregational church
- Theatre on the Bay
- And many more"