WOBU - Wynberg Old Boys Union - Our Heritage
Wynberg Old Boys' Union Formally launched 1841, but opened in 1822, Wynberg Boys' High School stands proudly as one of the 2 oldest schools in South Africa.

Our heritage

Wynberg History: A Timeline

From our earliest beginnings, the school has never moved its premises more than within a 5 kilometre radius - the magnificent estate on which the High School stands today is a short stroll to the site of our original 'school cottage', while remaining a stone's throw from our Junior School, located in our old Sir Herbert Baker premises just down Wynberg Hill.

This section is designed to be a work in progress - and we thank all those whose contribution to the written history of Wynberg we have used liberally throughout this section.

The Heritage Team are keen on meeting with contributors who could help add detail to the rich tapestry of Wynberg's History, and also supply additional material for the archives and Eric Tasker Museum.

1822
Chaplain William Wright: Starts the Wynberg Free School on 5 November.
1839
Mr. S. De Kock: Last headmaster; the school closes when Mr. De Kock moves away. James Rose Innes: first Superintendent-General of the Cape Colony on 11 May.
1841
John MacNaughton: appointed first Headmaster of Wynberg Established School on 1 June.
The Education Commission records the name 'Wynberg Free School'.
As no pupil attendance records of the first Free School exist, 1 July 1841 is accepted as the founding date of Wynberg Boys' Schools.
Official opening by Dr. P. E. Faure.First class took place in one room at Glebe Cottage at 11 a.m.
1845
School Moves: 'Bryndewyn Cottage', corner of Aliwal and Tennant Roads in January.
1848
First School Library opened. The last girl pupil leaves the School.
1863
Dark Times:

Government decides to relegate school to status of "second class elementary school".
Mr. MacNaughton resigns and is instructed to close on 27 February 1863.
Mr. Frederick Brice is granted permission to change Wynberg to a private school on 2 March.
Wynberg parents form the first Board of Managers and reclaim the school after 9 months.

1864
Mr. Burton Tubb: appointed as new Headmaster.
1876
Rev. Frederick Bullen-Moore: appointed as new Headmaster
A building is purchased from the Higgs estate.
The Education Commission records the name 'Wynberg Interdenominational School'.
Senior school subjects are taught again.
1880
Mr. Quirk: appointed substitute Headmaster as Rev. Moore returns to England on sick leave.
A sharp decline in pupil numbers is recorded.
1882
Rev. Moore returns, but suffers a relapse in health within one month.
Mr. Henry Nixon: appointed as new Headmaster, later to become the first President of the South African Teachers' Association in 1887.
1883
Mr. Nixon's son, Henry J. Nixon Junior, is appointed Headmaster.
Strived to upgrade the school's status to "First Class".
1891
Sir Herbert Baker designs new school buildings.
1892
Edward T. Littlewood becomes Headmaster and opens the new buildings on 1 July.
New school consists of 5 classrooms.
Littlewood expands the grounds through purchases of Estates and from donations.
He chooses the new school colours of navy blue and white, devises the first school badge, and creates the uniform of navy blazer with white braiding and cheesecutter banded with school colours.
A boarding house is added, run by Mrs. Littlewood.
1898
Cadet Corps formed.
1919
William Alfred Clegg becomes Headmaster.
1921
Prefect system introduced with G. Harold Eddy becoming the first Headboy.
1923
First full Prefect Body formed. School badge changes to reflect the Coat of Arms of Wynberg Municipality.
1924
First School Magazine published.
1925
The War Memorial Gates are presented to the School by Mr Perrow
1927
5 classrooms, a lobby and a cloakroom are added to the building.
1935
First School Orchestra established.
1943
The Music and Dramatic Society is founded.
1944
Arnold Lorie becomes first Headmaster of the new Junior School as the senior and junior sections separate.
1948
William E. Bowden appointed as Headmaster.
1956
Complex honouring Wynberg's fallen soldiers of World War II is opened.
1957
A new hostel replaces the old, 'Littlewood House'.
1965
Neville R. Blackbeard becomes Headmaster.
Establishes first Parent Teacher Association - PTA
1967
First Founders' Day instituted.
1980
School moves to its current site on the Hawthornden Estate during the fourth term.
1984
Rowan C. Algie becomes Headmaster.
Academic Roll of Honour instituted.
Media Centre, Workroom, Viewing Room and Computer Room come into being.
1985
First Supera Moras awarded.
1990
Wynberg Old Boys' Union presents the Bill Bowden Memorial Pavilion to the school.
1993
Bruce E. Probyn appointed Headmaster, the first Old Boy to achieve the honour.
1999
Keith C. Richardson appointed Headmaster.
2000
The school web site is launched.
2002
The Old Boys' web site is launched.
2004
Wynberg Old Boys' Union establish Offices in the Bill Bowden Pavilion.
2005
Silverhurst Manor House is refurbished as the official Headmaster's Residence: Kaplan House
The Ryno Greenwall Reading Room opens, housing his bequest of rare Anglo Boer War Africana.
2006
The Nussbaum Music Auditorium opens in the Alf Morris Centre.

Noticeboard
Please use our FaceBook group to stay up to date with Old Boys' news.
Union Officials:

Union Business Manager
Hugh Rowles
Tel: 021 797 2101
Email: hrowles@wbhs.org.za

Manager Bill Bowden Pavilion
Glenda Martindale
Tel: 021 797 2100
Email: gmartindale@wbhs.org.za

Of course, Rolex doesn't make every type of watch you want and rolex replica isn't the best at everything, but there is no denying that in addition to their enviable brand image, they made very good timepieces. One of the ironies of Rolex is that the pieces most popular to watch lovers are not the pieces that Rolex sells rolex replica the most of. Ask a "watch guy" what the best Rolex watch is and most of us will point to something in rolex replica sale the "Oyster Professional" collection, such as a Submariner or GMT-Master (among others). Ask Rolex where most of their sales comes from, and they will tell you something completely different. From a business perspective, rolex replica sale will share that Datejusts, especially women's models with diamonds, are the most popular rolex replica sale products in their collection. So yes, watch lovers and "the general public" have replica watches sale different watch tastes.